Leinster 200 Motorcycle Race 1935-1949
|1935||(Race held in Skerries)|
|1936||J. Dunne 350cc Norton|
|1937||R. Pennycock 350cc Norton|
|1938||R.A. Edwards 350cc Norton|
|1939||“R. Hunter” 350cc Norton|
|1948||F. Nugent 350cc Norton|
|1949||M. Barrington 350cc Norton|
The Leinster Motorcycle & Car Club was founded in 1921. In 1923 they began organising 100-mile Motor-Cycle Races, and in 1930 the Leinster Trophy moved to a new circuit around Skerries-Rush-Lusk. In 1934 they ran the first Leinster Trophy Car Race, which was won by Miss Fay Taylour, driving a car owned by Fianna Fail TD, Robert Briscoe.
In 1935 the circuit moved to Tallaght, as the Skerries circuit was not suited to 4-wheeled vehicles, and the race continued around the Tallaght Circuit until 1939, and the outbreak of World War II. It was restarted in 1948, and continued for two years.
The winners of each of the races drove a 350cc Norton.
The race ran from Main St, Tallaght, along to Templeogue Bridge, then down Firhouse Road to Old Bawn, and back up to Main St, Tallaght.
The races were Major events on the Irish Motor Racing Calendar. [Reference: 1]
 South Dublin County Council Library (2018) The Tallaght Motor Racing Circuit 1935-1948 [Internet] Available from: https://localstudies.wordpress.com/2018/08/23/the-tallaght-motor-racing-circuit-1935-1948/ [Accessed 21 January 2020]
 South Dublin County Council Library (2018) Motor Race Posters 5 [Internet] Available from: https://localstudies.files.wordpress.com/2018/08/motor-races-poster-5.png [Accessed 21 January 2020]
 The Old Neighborhood of Tallaght (2020) Photo by Richie Dunne March 2, 2020 “Starting line for the Leinster 200 Road Race, outside the front wall of the Priory.” [Internet] Available from: https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/88050472_10213854238825212_4234684350509088768_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=N0vWYEulc8gAX-0pSUw&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=883d5e8ffcb28b4e17f9046f0bfc1aa1&oe=5EE0BEB0 [Accessed 14 May 2020]
 The Old Neighborhood of Tallaght (2020) Photo by Richie Dunne March 2, 2020 “Turning into the village, outside O’Neill’s or The Dragon as it is now.” [Internet] Available from: https://scontent-dub4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/88175449_10213854366388401_5029033715771113472_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=Qc0S0jSfNyYAX_GTzEG&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=6c9995eb141ea49f4b2f3f5f60330b40&oe=5EE2ACD4 [Accessed 14 May 2020]
McCullagh, Robin, The Tallaght Motor Races 1935-1948 (Dublin, 2011).
Thanks to John Wills, Alan Delaney and Brian Manning.
About this document
Researched, compiled and written by Enda Mulcahy for the
Eirball | Irish North American & World Sports Archive
Last Updated: 14 May 2020
(c) Copyright Enda Mulcahy and Eirball 2020
You may quote this document in part provided that proper acknowledgement is given to the authors. All Rights Reserved.